
Well, Dora has been sitting on her nest for a week now and refuses to budge until her stomach gets the better of her. We've managed to have a look at the eggs and there were 7 in there yesterday which we marked with a black pen - this was after reading up on the internet that you should remove the subsequent eggs once the duck has started sitting so that you give the others a better chance. Today when I looked again there was another egg so I guiltily removed it from the nest, you wouldn't believe how warm it was! At the weekend we plan to candle the eggs to see which ones are fertile (if any). Here's hoping that at least 3 or 4 are fertile as I'm getting very excited at the thought of Dora bringing out her ducklings in a few weeks. Anyway here's a picture of some runner ducklings - perhaps Dora's will look like this (although she could be sitting on one of the other female's eggs). Will let you know what the candling reveals....
No comments:
Post a Comment